Geographic Information System - GIS
Geographic Information System (GIS) is an integral tool utilized at the agency to spatially enable data to manage South Carolina's natural resources.
Since 1989, the agency has been developing a statewide natural resource database. This data is available free of charge to the public in an effort to facilitate natural resource decision-making, analysis and education in South Carolina.
The purpose of these pages is to provide information about SCDNR GIS activities, efforts, and resources.
The Technology Development Program provides various network, hardware, software, and technical support for GIS activities at the agency.
- Agency wide GIS software licensing and support for ESRI ArcGIS Suite and Leica Geosystems ERDAS Imagine.
- GIS application development and assistance.
- Cartographic products and support.
- Maintain a centralized GIS data server and GIS Data Clearinghouse
- User technical support and consulting for GIS and GPS.
- GIS web mapping application development and support.
- Development of an Enterprise information system for tabular and spatial data.
- Joint Funding Agreements (JFA) with existing national mapping programs to acquire and fund GIS related data and imagery acquisition.
- Sponsor for the agency GIS User Group.
- Many other program areas utilize and develop GIS data and applications to manage natural resources.